If you’re planning on going somewhere using Google Maps, but you think you may not have full access to the internet the entire way there, Google has a solution for you. You can now download maps in advance, and use them regardless of if you have a connection or not.
When downloading a section of the world to your mobile device, you’ll get full Google Maps functionality for that location, including:
- Turn-by-turn driving directions.
- Ability to search for specific nearby destinations.
- Extra information about places — such as hours of operation, contact information or ratings.
In order to download Google Maps to your phone for offline viewing, it’s a pretty simple task.
First, make sure you’ve downloaded the app to your phone, and then follow these steps:
- First, search for a geographic region — like a city, county, or country.
- Next, tap “Download” after searching.
- Alternatively, go to “Offline Areas” in the Google Maps menu and tap on the “+” button.
- Google Maps will automatically access downloaded maps in offline mode if it detects that you’re in an area with no or weak internet connection.