Final Holiday Figures: $92B In E-Commerce, Omnichannel Retail Had Big Share

It appears that the final holiday online shopping tally is out.  According to Adobe, total e-commerce sales (November 1 to December 31) hit $91.7 billion, representing growth of 11 percent year over year.

During the 61 shopping day period, all but five of them saw at least $1 billion in online revenue.  It was shown that traffic to retails was split evenly between the desktop and mobile, although sales were still heavily favored towards the PC.  According to Adobe’s estimates, 31 percent of sales belong to mobile devices, where the desktop generated the other 69 percent.

At the same time, comScore had released desktop commerce data for the same period.  comScore stated that the us consumers spent about $63.1 billion online during Noember and December, which more or less fell in line with the PC component of Adobe’s figures.  Mobile figures weren’t included in the comScore data.

November 28’s Cyber Monday was the largest single day of online spending.  During that day, according to comScore reports, $2.7 billion was generated.  But according to various estimates, overall holiday retail sales exceeded $1 trillion.  Based on this information, e-commerce was just over 9 percent of the total.

Even with all the recent headlines talking about traditional retail layoffs and store closures due to online shopping growth (called the “Amazon” effect), the International Council of Shopping Centers published survey data asserting that omnichannel retailers were driving the majority of retail sales, with about “70 percent of total holiday related spending [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][at] stores with both a physical and an online presence.”  It was found in the survey that over 90 percent of shoppers bout gifts in physical stores.

Slice Intelligence claims that the sales made on Amazon tallied almost 40 percent of online spending.


Source – [/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.