I’m sure all of us have heard the following terms over the course of 2016 – Expanded text ads. Mobile-first index. Accelerated Mobile Pages. Possum. We’ve all become quite familiar with these terms over the last year.
When it comes to the search industry, both inside and outside of it, 2016 was a big change – a change that included Google’s decision to eliminate the right rail ads from its desktop search results. We were all eager to see how these changes would impact their campaigns, as two of Search Engine Land’s top 10 columns were focused on this topic.
There were also other major changes that the local search community had to deal with, including the Possum update which caused a mighty big upset within the local search results. Joy Hawkins, a local search expert, wrote the definitive article on this unannounced Google update, which impacted up to 64 percent of local SERPs. The article she wrote gave some great coverage of this development, and earned he the top spot for 2016.
- Everything you need to know about Google’s ‘Possum’ algorithm update by Joy Hawkins, published on 9/21/2016
Social activity: Facebook 2,931, Google+ 492, LinkedIn 1798
- 7 essential Google Analytics reports every marketer must know by Khalid Saleh, published on 5/30/2016
Social activity: Facebook 1,727, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 2863
- How To Get Started With Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) by Paul Shapiro, published on 2/24/2016
Social activity: Facebook 632, Google+ 194, LinkedIn 524
- Top 9 reasons Google suspends local listings by Joy Hawkins, published on 4/21/2016
Social activity: Facebook 855, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 794
- How To Localize Google Search Results by Clay Cazier, published on 1/13/2016
Social activity: Facebook 622, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 393
- Google’s New SERP Layout: The Biggest Winners & Losers by Larry Kim, published on 2/24/2016
Social activity: Facebook 751, Google+ 196, LinkedIn 1234
- Infographic: 11 amazing hacks that will boost your organic click-through rates by Larry Kim, published on 10/5/2016
Social activity: Facebook 1086, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 821
- Test Your Knowledge Of SEO by Eric Enge, published on 1/5/2016
Social activity: Facebook 900, Google+ 189, LinkedIn 594
- HTTP to HTTPS: An SEO’s guide to securing a website by Patrick Stox, published on 4/14/2016
Social activity: Facebook 962, Google+ 219, LinkedIn 619
- Google’s Take On The Recent Changes To The Results Page by Matt Lawson, published on 3/2/2016
Social activity: Facebook 627, Google+ 168, LinkedIn 944
Methodology: Columns published in 2016 are ranked in order of page views measured by Google Analytics. Data includes all columns published through November 30, 2016. Social data provided by SharedCount.