According to a report on May 5, Google quietly paused its TrueView discovery ad that shows up in mobile search results or as a “related video” on video watch pages on the service.  This has come as YouTube works to implement additional brand safety measures that had been promised in March after major advertisers in the UK and US pulled campaigns due to reports by The Times.

According to Rebecca Lynch of Publicis Health Media, the agency learned of the move after inquiring earlier this week.  A representative from Google said that pausing the discover ads will speed along infrastructure changes that are need to implemented new brand safety measures that apply to every YouTube ad format.  It’s expected that the ads will be offline until the end of Q2 2017.  A Google spokesperson said that the temporary pausing is necessary to implement controls that are going to provide more visibility into and control over where advertiser video ads appear.  Discovery ad targeting can even include demographics and interests.  This can take into account search history and other factors.

This change will affect only the discovery ads that appear in the search results on YouTube.  They will still appear on video partner sites in the Display Network.  They are also still able to show up on the YouTube mobile homepage at this point.  TrueView in-stream ads and the six-second bumper ads aren’t being affected by this change.

It’s possible that, as early as April, YouTube channels have to reach 10,000 views before ads can be shown on their videos.  After this threshold is reached, channels are to undergo reviews  for acceptance into the YouTube Partner Program  As part of the brand safety improvements, default settings will change to automatically exclude ads from showing on potentially objectionable content.  Google even broadened the scope of their so-called hate speech policy last week, which gave the company more discretion in determining if a video and site content can be monetized.

 

Source –